Adele Orcajada

Adele Orcajada



Weaving with "felpa gallega" technique. Designed for a handbag.
Weaving with "felpa gallega" technique. Applied on a shoe
Weaving with "felpa gallega" technique. Patchwork pattern


Experimental knitwear 

Experimental weaving, texture and color.


Out of context: crochet on a corset

Experimental knitwear 


Working with color, texture and shape have always been a constant in my professional life.  After college I specialized in graphic design and I worked in that field for various years. My passion for collecting bits and bobs of fabric, wool, ribbons, buttons, and sequins made me realize that more than print and paper, I loved the way textiles make me feel, and the qualities it had to offer.  Discovering fiber and textiles, and letting them play an active role in my life has been a slow process, not extent from uncertainty and doubt, where my intuition has played an important role.  As I tentatively experimented with fiber, I began to understand its language, learning where it could take me to. I took my first step towards change and turned to accessories design, specializing in textiles and leather.

This stage of my life took me into the world of fashion working for large fast fashion companies in Spain, where I currently live. Other jobs for small luxury brands like Calzados Franjul or Malababa, gave me the privilege to share time with local artisans, learning from traditional handmade techniques in their workshops.  From all of my jobs, I discovered the amazing role that artisans play in making craft. Even at an industrial level the artisan/manufactures´ knowledge and their experience are crucial for any collection to be successful, no matter how good the designer is. I developed an instinct to listen and learn from them, enhancing the final result of any piece. Working with artisans and manufactures I was able to discover the beauty of turning raw material into esthetic and functional pieces.  I saw the importance of getting to know any raw material, of understanding its qualities, its faults, its needs and uses. Only then you can begin to let creation take over and lead you to experiment and play with the material. However the final intention of my work in this sector was always commercial, limited by cost and market needs, therefore creativity had to be curved and contained. Now I know all the rules, I am starting to bend them.

Networking and sharing is an important part of my textile education, a lot of what I have learnt has been non-academic, through day-to-day contact with artisans as well as personal experimentation. As my knowledge grows I feel the need to transmit my findings and experience as other have done previously with me. I created textile courses for children and the Museo del Traje - textile museum- of Madrid, that offered both practical and theoretical approaches. I also teach design and production at a fashion school called Accademia del Lusso  helping my students turn their ideas into reality.


Working in production has been key in my fascination with raw material. I have founded a small project called The Big Bad Wool (www.thebigbadwool.com), where I am currently investigating the techniques and processes of actually creating raw material rather than designing final pieces. I have travelled to Peru, and Chile and combine what I have learnt there, with local artisans in Spain. I enjoy thinking of how the characteristics of the raw material will affect, define and even impose on the piece that will be made from it. I am exploring the different textures and volumes I can turn into yarn. This is only one small part of a long process that is made up of many skills and crafts. It is an enriching feeling to bring life to traditions that are being left behind such as herding, shearing, spinning, dyeing. My aim is to offer a new perspective on how to understand textiles, by bringing attention onto the whole process behind the final product and not focus so much on the result. Making everyone form part of a community promotes a feeling of empowerment for all, as well as encouraging a slower life style.


I have taken my time to study and develop my interest in textiles, to enrich it and to nurture it by learning how to understand their qualities. I´m confident to share my experience, and take every opportunity to deepen my ability and enhance my artistic identity. I strive to discover new and exciting horizons in textiles. I look forward to sharing my experience with likeminded artists that can complement and enhance the creative process.  I’m excited by the perspective of sharing my unique experience in textiles and my know how, to reinforce and enrich future projects.


contact: adele@thebigbadwool.com